This fruit salad is perfect for summer gatherings. With the sun shining and the grill sizzling, a refreshing bowl of fruit can be the ultimate complement. And guess what? This fruit salad isn’t just any ordinary bowl of fruit. When you allow it to soak in its specially crafted sauce for several hours, the flavors amplify, making each bite a burst of summer freshness.
Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or attending a summer soiree, this fruit salad is your ideal companion. Interestingly, letting it marinate for 3-4 hours allows the flavors to meld beautifully. Here are some quick facts:
- Prep time: 25 mins
- Brief cooking for the sauce: 5 mins
- Additional marinating time: 3 hrs
- All in all: 3 hrs 30 mins
- Enough to serve 10 people!
Its vivid colors and incredible taste will surely be a hit.
The Essence of the Salad: Ingredients
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Lemon juice, equally fresh
- A touch of brown sugar
- Zest from an orange
- Lemon zest for that tang
- A hint of vanilla extract
Fruits to Dive into:
- Juicy pineapples
- Luscious strawberries
- Tangy kiwis
- Creamy bananas
- Zesty oranges
- Crisp grapes
- And lastly, sweet blueberries.
However, one exciting feature is its flexibility. If a particular fruit isn’t available, or you have a personal favorite, feel free to swap!
Steps to Bring It All Together
- Start with the sauce: Combine the ingredients and cook them briefly. Once done, give it some time to cool.
- Next, grab a big container. Assemble your chosen fruits and pour that delectable sauce over them.
- Finally, patience is key! Seal the container and let it sit in the fridge. This step ensures every fruit piece gets infused with the rich sauce flavors.
Planning Ahead? No Worries!
Here’s a tip: This dish loves to be prepared ahead of time. The longer those fruits soak, the tastier they become. So, if you’ve got a busy day lined up, toss this together the night before, and you’re golden.
Voices from the Crowd
Debbie Cash mentioned how she got rave reviews at a recent gathering. Instead of layering, she chose a more mixed approach. Similarly, jjarvis5 loved how the sauce flavors melded with the fruits and also opted for a mixed technique. Lastly, czitnick found this salad refreshing, even swapping tangerines in place of oranges. The verdict? Adapt and enjoy!
A Closer Look at Quantities
For the sauce:
- Orange juice: ⅔ cup
- Lemon juice: ⅓ cup
- Brown sugar: ⅓ cup
- Orange zest: ½ teaspoon
- Lemon zest: ½ teaspoon
- Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
For our fruit ensemble:
- Pineapple: 2 cups, cubed
- Strawberries: 2 cups, sliced after removing the hull
- Kiwi: 3 in number, sliced post-peeling
- Bananas: 3, simply sliced
- Oranges: 2, peeled and segmented
- Grapes: 1 cup, ensuring they’re seedless
- Blueberries: A generous 2 cups
Guide to Perfect Execution
- In a saucepan, mix together orange and lemon juices, brown sugar, and both zests.
- Bring this mixture to a boil on medium-high heat. Then, lower the flame and let it simmer till it achieves a slightly thicker consistency, roughly around 5 minutes.
- Conclude by adding vanilla. Set aside to cool.
Then the Fruits:
- In a sizable glass bowl, begin with a layer of pineapple, followed by strawberries, kiwi, bananas, oranges, grapes, and concluding with blueberries.
- Once layered, it’s time for that sauce. Pour it generously over the fruits.
- To let the magic happen, cover the bowl and set it in the refrigerator for a span of 3-4 hours. After that, it’s ready to be devoured!